In January 2020, Assemblyman Brian Maienschein, 77th District, introduced AB1933 to expand the sudden cardiac arrest prevention protocol in effect for school-sponsored sports activities to include information for parents about ECG testing for student athletes. Sponsored by the Eric Paredes Save A Life Foundation, this bill is meant to raise awareness about affecting a more comprehensive sports physical with the goal of making sure young hearts are ready to play.
Studies show that one in 300 youth has an undetected heart condition that puts them at risk for Sudden Cardiac Arrest. And while most student athletes are required to take a pre-participation examination for sports physical (PPE), the exams are not a comprehensive assessment of heart health. In fact, studies show that most standard exams miss up to 90 percent of youth at risk because they do not include a robust cardiac risk assessment. Research indicates that electrocardiogram (ECG) testing identifies more youth at risk than health history and physicals alone, with a low false positive rate of ~3 percent when interpreted by a qualified physician.
Recognizing the importance of early detection and intervention, Texas and Pennsylvania have enacted legislation to educate parents and student athletes about the value of ECG testing during sports physicals.
This bill would amend the current Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act to include:
• Information about ECG screening on parent/guardian/student information forms in PPEs
• information about ECG testing for students removed from play from passing out/fainting or another perceived cardiac condition
To support this bill, please follow these steps:
- Download support suggested letters to both Education and Judiciary Committees.
- If you represent an organization, copy the letter onto your organization’s letterhead.
- Use the link to submit the letter through the electronic portal, or send us the letter and we will submit it on your behalf.
- Share this information to encourage individuals and organizations in your community to lend their support!
Avive Solutions • City of Beverly Hills • City of San Diego • City SC • Institute of Public Health at San Diego State University • Parent Heart Watch • Saving Hearts Foundation • Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation • Via Heart Project