- Our Law
- Get Screened
- Prevent SCA
Thank you for championing sudden cardiac arrest prevention in youth at your school!
Our sponsor designates schools to participate in this program. If your school has been selected, you have already been contacted by an Eric Paredes Save A Life representative. Use this page to find information you can use to implement your Cardiac Emergency Response Plan (CERP) and install your automated external defibrillator (AED).
The goal for our Save A Heart, Save A Life AED Program is to raise awareness of sudden cardiac arrest in youth and to enhance cardiac emergency preparedness by giving schools the tools they need to protect young hearts. Like fire drills and fire extinguishers, accessible AEDs with a written and well-practiced plan is a best practice for student safety.
This program is generously underwritten by
Sudden cardiac arrest is the #1 killer of student athletes, the leading cause of death on school campuses and contributes to the #2 medical cause of death under 25. One in 300 youth has an undetected heart condition that puts them at risk. Once sudden cardiac arrest strikes, an AED is the ONLY way to restart a victim’s heart. Sadly, the survival rate is less than 10% because the public is underprepared to respond to a cardiac emergency, and California law does not mandate AEDs in schools and all places youth congregate.
• Register for the program at the link we provide to you.
• Sign and return the agreement letter that has been emailed to you.
• Download the Cardiac Emergency Response Plan toolkit and review materials. Use the Quick Start guide to get going. We will be happy to guide you through this process.
• Confirm whether you would like to arrange a complimentary CPR/AED certification class for up to 10 school staff who you designate to join your Cardiac Emergency Response Team.
• Once your AED arrives, enroll in the AED maintenance program via the contact we provide to you.
• Work with us to coordinate an AED installation ceremony, or other special recognition of your work to make your school heart safe.