The goal for our Save A Heart, Save A Life AED Program is to raise awareness of sudden cardiac arrest in youth and to enhance cardiac emergency preparedness by giving San Diego County schools and youth organizations the tools they need to protect young hearts. Like fire drills and fire extinguishers, accessible AEDs with a written and well-practiced plan is a best practice for student safety.
Please read below for your obligation should you be awarded an AED through this program. Applicants agree that if awarded an AED, they will:
- Work with their organization to implement a Cardiac Emergency Response Plan
- Participate in a 45-minute orientation with us to review the plan’s five implementation steps and free, turn-key resources to assist your efforts
- Comply with the California Health & Safety Code, which includes specific administrative and financial responsibilities the organization must commit to (such as replacing AED battery and pads every few years, noticing the AED to your organization, assuring the device remains in working order. Batteries/pads are approximately $400/$75 every four/two years)
- Enroll with San Diego Project Heart Beat to maintain compliance (If your
school or district is already enrolled with SDPHB, the cost to register this AED is between $10
and $25. First time users have an annual cost of $100 for one AED.)
- Assure the AED remains accessible—never locked away in an office or cabinet
- Demonstrate they are in good standing in compliance with California’s AB1639, the Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act and AB379, Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Safety Protocol for Community Youth Sports Programs.
If you have been selected to receive an AED:
- Register for the program at the link we provide to you.
- Sign and return the agreement letter that has been emailed to you.
- Download the Cardiac Emergency Response Plan toolkit and review materials. We will set an appointment with you and your team to overview the implementation process.
- Once your AED arrives, enroll in the San Diego Project Heart Beat AED maintenance program via the contact we provide to you. (Brand of AED awarded is at the discretion of EP Save A Life)
- Work with us to coordinate an AED installation ceremony, or other special recognition of your school or youth center elevating its heart safety.
- Looking for AED funding? Check out these resources.
Learn How to Use Your New AED!
Use these tools to educate your school community about sudden cardiac arrest in youth.
For training on how to use each brand of AED, visit Save Station.
Find bilingual SCA Fact Sheets, Posters and other resources here. (Need Link)