Applications Now Being Accepted
Back by popular demand, we plan to donate 10 AEDs to 10 schools and youth centers in 2021. The goal for our Save A Heart, Save A Life AED Program is to raise awareness of sudden cardiac arrest in youth and to enhance cardiac emergency preparedness by giving schools and youth organizations the tools they need to protect young hearts. Like fire drills and fire extinguishers, accessible AEDs with a written and well-practiced plan is a best practice for student safety.
We will donate 10 AEDs in 2021. Your application will be considered through October, so please only apply once. AEDs will be awarded in June during CPR/AED Awareness Week and October during Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Month.
Please read below for your obligation should you be awarded an AED through this program. Applicants agree that if awarded an AED, they will:
- Work with their organization to implement a Cardiac Emergency Response Plan
- Participate in a 45-minute orientation with us to review the plan’s five implementation steps and free, turn-key resources to assist your efforts
- Comply with the California Health & Safety Code, which includes specific administrative and financial responsibilities the organization must commit to (such as replacing AED battery and pads every few years, noticing the AED to your organization, assuring the device remains in working order)
- Enroll with San Diego Project Heart Beat to maintain compliance
- Assure the AED remains accessible—never locked away in an office or cabinet
- Demonstrate they are in good standing in compliance with California’s AB1639, the Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act and AB379, Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Safety Protocol for Community Youth Sports Programs.
If you have been selected to receive an AED:
• Register for the program at the link we provide to you.
• Sign and return the agreement letter that has been emailed to you.
• Download the Cardiac Emergency Response Plan toolkit and review materials. We will set an appointment with you and your team to overview the implementation process.
• Once your AED arrives, enroll in the San Diego Project Heart Beat AED maintenance program via the contact we provide to you. (Brand of AED awarded is at the discretion of EP Save A Life)
• Work with us to coordinate an AED installation ceremony, or other special recognition of your school or youth center heart safe.
Use these tools to educate your school community about sudden cardiac arrest in youth.
For training on how to use each brand of AED, visit Save Station.